Curbside garbage and recycling collection is provided by Bluewater Recycling Association (BRA). Garbage and recycling are collected on Mondays for most of Bluewater and Tuesdays for Hensall and Dashwood. Depending on location, your garbage may be picked up on a weekly or bi-weekly basis. The garbage and recycling collection schedule is available from the BRA website.
Each residential home is provided with a small garbage bin (black lid) and large recycling bin (blue lid). If you would like to change the size of your bin, please contact Bluewater Recycling Association at 519-228-6678.
If you need help with any of the following, please contact BRA:
- Reporting a missed collection
- Upgrading or downgrading bin sizes
- Requesting repairs to wheelie bins
Information about the proper disposal of garbage and recycling through curbside collection is available through the BRA website. You can also choose to download the Recycle Coach app which gives you access to collection reminders, access to the pick-up schedule in your area, and more.
The municipality provides two locations for disposing of green waste.
- Stanley Landfill: green waste can be disposed of at the Stanley landfill with a valid blue card when open to the public.
- Hensall Green Waste Depot: Green waste can be dropped off anytime at the green waste depot in Hensall which is located at the end of Richmond Street South.
Seasonal leaf collection
Generally, there are two collection times per year for curbside leaf collection. Collection is at the discretion of Council. Collection schedules will be posted to the news section of our website.
- All leaves must be bagged in brown paper bags (not plastic).
- Bagged leaves must be placed at the curb for pick-up by 7 a.m.
- Brush, garbage or animal waste will not be picked up.
In the fall, notices will be posted on the municipal website and social media pages with the defined pick-up window. Fall collection is offered in the villages of Bayfield, Brucefield, Dashwood, Hensall, Kippen, Varna and Zurich.
Pickup will occur on the last three Tuesdays of April for Bayfield, Brucefield, Dashwood, Hensall, Kippen, Varna and Zurich.
Pick up is scheduled for lakeshore subdivisions (those located west of Highway 21 between Waterworks Road and Paul Bunyan Road) for the last Wednesday in April. For lakeshore collection:
- Green waste is to be placed in paper bags at the roadside in front of the property by 7 a.m.
- Green waste piled in a central location within an association will not be collected.
- Waste put out after the single pick up date will not be collected.