The Municipality of Bluewater’s Council consists of the Mayor (elected at large), Deputy Mayor (elected at large) and seven Ward Councillors. Their contact information can be found on the Council Members page.
Regular meetings of Council are scheduled the first and third Monday of every month commencing at 6:30 pm. Meetings of Council will be held in a hybrid format, which includes both electronic and in-person attendance. In person attendance will be at the Council Chambers located at 38594 Mill Road in Varna. Meetings are live streamed to YouTube. Council meeting YouTube videos can be made available for future viewing by contacting the Clerk's Office at 519-236-4351.
Please view the 2024 Council Meeting Schedule to confirm meeting dates and times.
To keep up to date on issues being considered by Council, meeting agendas are published the Friday before the meeting and minutes are posted after they are approved at the following meeting.
If you would like to appear before Council at a regularly scheduled Council meeting, please submit a delegation request.
A municipal Council is the ultimate authority, subject to provincial law, for all actions taken on behalf of the municipal corporation in that it exercises both executive and legislative roles. It fulfills its role by making policies in accordance with the wishes and concerns of the general public, subject to provincial laws, policies and directives.
The Municipal Act, 2001 sets out the role of the Head of Council (Mayor) and Members of Council as follows:
Role of Head of Council (Mayor)
It is the role of the Head of Council:
- to act as chief executive officer of the municipality
- to preside over council meetings
- to provide leadership to the council
- to represent the municipality at official functions
- to carry out the duties of the head of council under this or any other Act
Role of Council
It is the role of Council:
- to represent the public and to consider the well-being and interests of the municipality
- to develop and evaluate the policies and programs of the municipality
- to determine which services the municipality provides
- to ensure that administrative practices and procedures are in place to implement the decisions of council
- to maintain the financial integrity of the municipality
- to carry out the duties of council under this or any other Act