Water meters are used to measure the amount used and bill for the water used by properties that are connected to the municipal water system. If a building on your property is connected to one of the municipal water systems, it must have a water meter installed.
Important things to remember about water meters include:
- You need to arrange for your contractor to install the water meter kit for new buildings, additions and renovations. For more information, download our information sheet for contractors.
- Notify the utilities clerk if you remove the transmitter box on the outside of your building for renovations.
- When the renovations are finished, you need to re-install the transmitter box and notify the utilities clerk.
Water meters are read electronically in Bluewater. The wire must remain connected to the transmitter box and water meter year round. If we cannot get a reading a flat fee for water usage will be charged.
How to drain your water meter
For seasonal dwellings that are not heated during the cold weather times, the water meter will need to be drained of water in a manner similar to draining other parts of your water system. It is your responsibility to protect the meter from frost damage the same as you would do for the rest of your water piping system.
The procedure for draining the water meter is:
- Shut off your main water supply.
- Drain your water system in the usual manner.
- After water has stopped draining, open the drain cock on the valve near the meter. You may get a small amount of water from this port.
- Loosen the four bolts (do not remove completely) which hold the back plate bottom below) on the meter. You may get a small amount of water spillage from the back of the meter.
In the spring, close the system by reversing the above procedure.
This procedure has been reliable in previous applications. If you have concerns please consult your plumber.
Note: Removal of your water meter is not permitted under By-law 82-2001. Anyone found to have removed their water meter without consent from the Municipality may be subject to fines and penalties.
Municipality of Bluewater
14 Mill Avenue
Send an Email