Lakeshore Road Grant

Within the Municipality of Bluewater there are numerous roads that are not publicly maintained. Care and maintenance for these roads is the responsibility of property owners' associations. A lakeshore road grant was approved by council to help associations with some of the maintenance costs. To request a copy of the lakeshore road grant policy, please contact the Public Works department.

Road grant applications must be submitted each year prior to December 1st. Late applications will not be accepted. Associations can apply for reimbursement of eligible costs that are incurred between November 1st of the previous year and October 31st of the current year.

The road grant is made up of one administration fee per association in an amount that is set by council and the actual reimbursement of costs per kilometre of roads maintained by the association. This amount is also set by council and may be reexamined from time to time.

It is the association's responsibility to make sure the municipality has the most up-to-date information, including the name and contact information of approved individuals acting on behalf of the association. This information can be updated by contacting the Public Works department.

The lakeshore road grant was made available following the completion of the lakeshore road study. The study is available for review at the municipal office. 

This policy applies to unassumed roads or private roads located west of Bluewater Highway (Highway 21) and south of Crystal Springs Road. It does not apply to roads on a plan of subdivision or plan of condominium registered after January 1, 2002.  It also does not apply to any road access created by easement or any other means after January 1, 2002. To receive grant funding, all roads must be open for public use. Any signage, such as no trespassing or private road signs, restricting travel on the road will result in a loss of funding.

Associations wishing to apply for a roads grant must be incorporated. A copy of the association's letters of patent (incorporation documents) and any amendments must be provided to the municipality to be kept on file.

Examples of eligible expenses include:

  • Grading
  • Snow plowing
  • Tree removal and trimming
  • Noxious weed control
  • Gravel and dust control
  • Roadside grass cutting
  • Approved capital road reconstruction and road surfacing
  • Approved capital improvements to road drainage including ditches and catch basins

Associations wishing to complete capital improvements or reconstruction must have written approval from the municipality before work begins. These repairs must be in accordance with the road design standards set out by the municipality. If permission is not received beforehand and if the design is not to standard, the municipality may not reimburse these fees.

An association is no longer eligible for reimbursement of costs for a road that has been assumed by by-law by the municipality. The end date for eligibility will be the date of passage of the by-law assuming the road.

Road grant applications must be submitted annually before December 1st. Late submissions will not be accepted. Please review the lakeshore roads grant policy before completing your application. 

Submissions must include:

  • A complete road grant application, completed in ink or by type
  • A copy of the association's letters patent if not provided before and any amendments to the letters patent
  • Copies of invoices for each reimbursement requested which should clearly show the date, description of the work, and cost of work done
  • Proof of payment such as a copy of the association's bank account statement with payment identified

If you need assistance with your application or if you have questions about eligible expenses, please contact the Public Works department. We will be happy to provide you with an information package including frequently asked questions.

Municipality of Bluewater
14 Mill Avenue
N0M 2T0
Phone: 519-236-4351
or 1-877-236-4351
Fax: 519-236-4329
Send an Email

Scroll to top